Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is authorized for use under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for active immunization to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in individuals 16 years of age and older.
For intramuscular injection only.
Prior to Dilution
- The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Multiple Dose Vial contains a volume of 0.45 mL, supplied as a frozen suspension that does not contain preservative. Each vial must be thawed and diluted prior to administration.
- Vials may be thawed in the refrigerator [2ºC to 8ºC (35ºF to 46ºF)] or at room temperature [up to 25ºC (77ºF)] [see How Supplied/Storage and Handling (19)].
- Refer to thawing instructions in the panels below.
- Dilute the vial contents using 1.8 mL of 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP (not provided) to form the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. Do not add more than 1.8 mL of diluent.
- ONLY use 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP as the diluent. This diluent is not packaged with the vaccine and must be sourced separately. Do not use bacteriostatic 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection or any other diluent.
- After dilution, one vial contains 6 doses of 0.3 mL. Vial labels and cartons may state that after dilution, a vial contains 5 doses of 0.3 mL. The information in this Full EUA Prescribing Information regarding the number of doses per vial after dilution supersedes the number of doses stated on vial labels and cartons.
- Refer to dilution and dose preparation instructions in the panels below.
|THAWING PRIOR TO DILUTION|
|PREPARATION OF INDIVIDUAL 0.3 mL DOSES OF PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE|
Visually inspect each dose in the dosing syringe prior to administration. The vaccine will be an off-white suspension. During the visual inspection,
- verify the final dosing volume of 0.3 mL.
- confirm there are no particulates and that no discoloration is observed.
- do not administer if vaccine is discolored or contains particulate matter.
Administer the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine intramuscularly.
After dilution, vials of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine contain six doses of 0.3 mL of vaccine. Low dead-volume syringes and/or needles can be used to extract six doses from a single vial. If standard syringes and needles are used, there may not be sufficient volume to extract a sixth dose from a single vial. Irrespective of the type of syringe and needle:
- Each dose must contain 0.3 mL of vaccine.
- If the amount of vaccine remaining in the vial cannot provide a full dose of 0.3 mL, discard the vial and any excess volume.
- Do not pool excess vaccine from multiple vials.
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is administered intramuscularly as a series of two doses (0.3 mL each) three weeks apart.
There are no data available on the interchangeability of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine with other COVID-19 vaccines to complete the vaccination series. Individuals who have received one dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine should receive a second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to complete the vaccination series.
Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is a suspension for injection. After preparation, a single dose is 0.3 mL.
Do not administer Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to individuals with known history of a severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to any component of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine [see Description (13)].
Appropriate medical treatment used to manage immediate allergic reactions must be immediately available in the event an acute anaphylactic reaction occurs following administration of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.
Monitor Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine recipients for the occurrence of immediate adverse reactions according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/managing-anaphylaxis.html).
Immunocompromised persons, including individuals receiving immunosuppressant therapy, may have a diminished immune response to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine may not protect all vaccine recipients.
VxLabels.com provides trustworthy package insert and label information about marketed drugs and vaccines as submitted by manufacturers to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Package information is not reviewed or updated separately by VxLabels.com. Every individual vaccine label and package insert entry contains a unique identifier which can be used to secure further details directly from the U.S. National Institutes of Health and/or the FDA.